Friday, April 24, 2009

A road less travelled




Away from the chaotic streets of Delhi, lies Yamuna Pushta road which once held the proud distinction of being the only connecting link between Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway station and Mayur Vihar. It was the road which used to help a large number of commuters, especially cyclists and scooter riders, to reach Ring Road by the shortest route free of any charge.

A world within a world existed in Yamuna Pushta. It was also host to migrants from small towns and villages of Uttar Pradesh who are settled there who worked closely with the community, bringing about immense positive change in the lives of the residents. But it all changed a few years back.

When the government of Delhi, in collaboration with the Japanese government, constructed the Indo-Japan Friendship Bridge – better known as the Nizamuddin Bridge – this road lost its relevance. Now there was no need for any temporary arrangement. So, the pontoon bridge was discarded and the Nizamuddin Bridge became the primary link to the Railway station.

But this did not affect the spirit of the people living near the Yamuna pusta road. For these 2,000-odd people, it’s life as usual. Many of these come here from places like Badaun (Uttar Pradesh) for about a year. But these people have created a whole new world for themselves. From temple to school; nurseries to farming, they have everything they need to lead their lives.

These villagers live like a close-knit family, helping out each other. When I reached there, it was a warm welcome for me. Sipping tea offered to me by one of the villager, I came to know that they are primarily engaged in farming and nursing the plants. The vegetables these villagers grow here are sold in the nearby markets.

As I wandered inside, I found a Ram temple. Built several years ago, it has attracted a lot of devotees over the years. I entered the premises and spoke about the area to the priest present there.

"This temple is 25 years old and I have been the caretaker from the beginning. I want to tell you that over the years, it has seen a steady growth in the number of devotees. Though the road is closed those who believe in this temple, are still visiting regularly," the priest said.

I was enjoying my stay there as the area was so close to the metropolis, yet so quiet and so pure. The area lies just across the Mayur Vihar main road, but as one crosses the road it’s a whole new experience. From the sky high buildings and highly polluted environment, where Metro Rail is adding to it, coming at this place was a refreshing change.

4 comments:

  1. This is amazing. I have been living so close to this place, but have never known about it. I have always had this urge to visit a place in Delhi, which is not chaotic and which gives the feel one gets in a village. This blog introduced me to one such place. Now I expect a lot more from this place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never paid heed to this place though I have crossed this place several times. But a world like was this also present where the 'magnificent' Akshardhaam Temple is standing today...

    Nicely put...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen the opening from where the road begins and it was always a mystery to me...as to where the road led to.
    Thanks Amit for enlightening... great find!

    ReplyDelete

Alexa widget