Monday, January 18, 2010

A day out in Delhi

Delhi, with its fast-paced life and mechanical and human traffic, can be confronting and confounding for the first-time visitor. But for me, it's my home - a truly multidimensional metropolis. Scratch beyond its coarse and boorish surface and you will discover that India’s capital is sprinkled with enchanting ancient monuments, magnificent museums and some of the yummiest places to eat.

So today, I decided to discover the soul of the city that is engrossing as it is exasperating; a mix of ostentatious wealth and inescapable poverty; and is calm yet noisy.

My day began with a visit to the Humayun’s Tomb in soft morning light. And the winter fog and chill made it a memorable experience. An architectural marvel, the elegant red and white mausoleum - also known as Purana Qila - is an ideal getaway from crowd and routine life. The peace and serenity of the place was a breathtaking experience - something which will stay in my memory forever.

After spending a few hours at the place, I reluctantly decided to move on. As I reached the main gate, I was jolted out of my thoughts by loud honking. It was Delhi’s famous traffic mayhem! In a bid to get away from there, I jostled my way through the crowd and reached the bus stop. It was after a long time that I took a bus ride and my destination was Connaught Place.

Connaught Place takes me back to the golden days of Delhi. While the handicraft outlets and bangle market still give you that rustic feeling, the quirky T-shirts and contemporary Indian art at Janpath reinforce the modernity of the metropolis. Looking at the British designed buildings, house to some of the costliest shops and office space in the country, competing with the new wave of mall culture is truly alluring.

It was now time step back centuries at the Red Fort, in the heart of Old Delhi. Strolling down the souvenir arcade, I marveled at the inlaid marble at Diwan-e-Khaas; it is an experience which cannot be described in words.

Roaming around so much makes you hungry. So, I headed to Chadni Chowk - to indulge myself in the pleasures of different flavours of paranthas and sinful sweets. Heading back through the labyrinthine market, I went on a trip down memory lane - to the time when I used to come to my uncle's place, and the chaat I used to savour. On my way back, I also saw Jama Masjid - the sandstone and white-marble masterpiece of Islamic architecture. There is a superb view of Delhi from its gallery.

I was exhausted now. Though I wanted to visit more places, but my body started aching. So, I boarded the bus and came back home. But the experience was memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alexa widget